Red Tara Practice
An Open Door to Bliss and Ultimate Awareness
Edited by Robert Bruce Newman
Summary of the Practice
First you imagine the living Tara spontaneously in front of you.
You pray profoundly to her, asking to have all of her powers.
Then you dissolve Tara into yourself and you dissolve into primordial wisdom.
Then you arise as Red Tara.
You do the practice, first visualizing who you are as living deity.
You do the mantra for at least 108 recitations, radiating blessing into all the realms of life,
relieving suffering everywhere.
You finish the powerful recitation. You dissolve yourself into the nature of awareness.
You rest in absolute peace.
Again you arise as Red Tara, with all of your power,
to relieve suffering everywhere.
You embody radiant compassion.
[ end of summary ]
[Visualize living radiant Red Tara in front of you.]
[Recite to start the practice. ]
Now as I and countless others are lost in a world of suffering
I seek buddhahood to gain temporary and ultimate happiness for myself and all living beings.
For this reason I take refuge in noble Tara, embodiment of pure awareness.
From the depths of my heart I pray, evoking from Tara’s forehead, throat, and heart
a brilliant surge of rainbow light.
As the light rays touch me and all other beings
sickness, afflictions, and obstacles completely dissolve.
Merit, wisdom, wealth, and blessedness increase.
OM TARE TAM SOHA
(sing in multiples of 108 repetitions,
visualizing radiant Red Tara constantly blessing you with her light.)
Noble Tara, I bow to you. I want to be you.
Fully bestow on me your powers and blessings.
Whosoever sees me, hears me, touches me, or remembers me –
by these four means of liberation and by the most sublime power
may I be capable of freeing all those connected to me
and may my attainment become equal to yours.
Until such time, may we be free from the 8 great fears
and free from all malevolent influences.
May all beings be blessed by Tara
and be blessed by the vase of life.
[Dissolve Red Tara into yourself and you dissolve into primordial wisdom.]
Transformation into the Wisdom Body of Tara
From infinite space my inherent awareness
spontaneously appears as the brilliant red seed syllable TAM.
Instantly TAM transforms into my luminous body of the noble Tara.
I am exceedingly beautiful.
My right hand is in the gesture of supreme generosity and holds the vase of life.
My left hand holds the rarest of flowers, blooming once in a thousand years.
Within the petals of the flower are a fully drawn bow and arrow made of flowers.
My sheer garments are made of fine silks.
I wear wish-fulfilling jewels, regal ornaments, and a crown.
Half of my dark blue hair is in a knot at the crown of my head
and half flows down my back.
I sit in the posture of royal ease on a sun disc on a red lotus.
The Buddha of Infinite Light sits above my head.
I am ruby red. My glorious rainbow light radiance fills an infinite sphere.
On a red lotus and sun disc in my heart, the brilliant red seed syllable TAM
is encircled by the bright red seed syllables of the mantra,
OM TARE TAM SO HA
As I recite the mantra, the mantra circle revolves counterclockwise,
radiating light as an offering for the potential of all life.
That light returns to me and I absorb it as wisdom blessings.
Then again I radiate out, to all the realms of life, dissolving all suffering,
letting everyone in the world know their sacred nature.
OM TARE TAM SOHA (sing in multiples of 108)
When you have completed the mantra repetitions
dissolve yourself as Tara into the infinite ground of life.
AH AH AH
You rest in the state of primordial awareness for a meditation session,
at least 5 minutes, then as long as you want.
Then you reappear spontaneously in the form of Tara,
radiating blessing into life,
throughout the day and night.
- Visualize the TAM and the mantra OM TARE TAM SO HA in English letters, just as written in these pages. See the letters as self-luminous ruby light. The TAM in the heart center is unmoving. The mantra letters circling it rotate counterclockwise as the mantra is recited, radiating great beams of healing ruby light.
- You don’t need to see the seed syllables in their original Sanskrit, divinely revealed syllables that are both sound and a greatly brilliant source of light. Imagine the English letters as intensely luminous sound syllables.
- Try singing the mantra, using a simple tune until I send you a cd with the traditional tune, if I can.
OM All mantras start with OM, the fully-active crown chakra, indicating the first empowerment, the empowerment of the body into the wisdom body of a buddha.
TARE = TARA
TAM = the seed syllable of Tara, in the heart center (chakra),
brilliant ruby sound source, radiating out to all the world.
SO HA = thus this sacredly is true.
4. You imagine yourself as Tara seated on a golden “sun disc” on a red lotus. The “sun disc” in your heart is a golden disc on a red lotus, upon which stands the brilliant red TAM.
5. Red Tara images. Google red tara and you’ll see many images. If you want a really kosher Red Tara image please order one from Tibetan Treasures, the dharma store of Chagdud Tulku’s temple in California, in Junction City: tibetantreasures.com